Thursday, May 2, 2013

Back to the Grind...

Grind may be slightly exaggerated, its more like shaping and sanding. I am finally getting back to work on the live edge table.

I will be using my block plane and rasps to fair the corners of the legs and the curved stretcher. I am looking to eliminate all hard edges and straight lines from the finished piece.

At this point I have completed the shaping of one face (two corners) of one of the legs. It took about 3 hours to get it where I am satisfied with how it looks.

I am currently using the block plane to hog off most of the material. I create facets on corners until I get the general curve and the use the rasp to clean to the desired shape. I am thinking that a concave spokeshave would dramatically speed up the process of removing the bulk of the material, but right now its not a weapon in my arsenal.

Here is a question I have been batting around as I've worked the curves. Do I complete the entire leg including sanding to near assembly ready or do I fair all the curves and then move to the sanding? My desire (impatience) to see the finished product makes me think I should sand and then fair the next leg, but my common sense tells me to fair everything and then sand everything. Curiosity, how would you handle the work flow in this situation?

Due to my wife's hospitalization I'll have to post pictures at a later time.

Until my next post...

Keep your mind on your fingers and your fingers on your hands!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment